Yangshuo surprise
Entry 11-16-2010 [written 11-18-2010]
As I began to explore the lovely "village" of Yangshuo [roughly 1 Mln people - most folks here consider that to be a small town], I took a stroll along the famed Li River...and a strange thing happened. Three cute young girls came up to me, arm in arm and asked timidly if they could talk to me. To my surprised "why?" they told me they were students at a local college [Omeida College of Yangshuo] and wanted to practice their English. As it turns out, Yangshuo is a major language center that students flock to from all around China to be exposed to the never-drying pool of westerners who flock here for the beyond-lyrical scenery. Symbiosis at its finest.
I invited my new-found friends to stroll along the river with me as they shared their heritage and intentions of international relations careers. The day was drawing nigh and the girls mentioned that once a week their English teacher treats them to a fun English movie, and today was that lucky day. "Would you like to come along," - they asked? Now, the funny thing was that the very morning of that day, I fantasized how nice it would be to watch a flick tonight, but I had no idea where I could find such a pleasure in town. Yes, I'd definitely like to come along. And there we were - in the middle of Guilin Province, surrounded by surreal limestone peaks that glow in the dark like some overwhelmingly large phallic symbols [thanks to uber-bright projectors], watching a Nick Cage movies on an outdoor screen at a local college....Funny things happen when I just keep saying "yes."
Then my friends showed me a yummilicious restaurant that had me squeeling with delight. VEGGIES! There are VEGGIES HERE! And not just any kind, but fresh and cooked this and that way. The barbeque eggplants and shrooms are incredible. And the clay-pot dishes are orgasmic. This is a gourmet paradise.
Cold weather is upon us today. So is rain.
On the picture with the bamboo raft: a local villager is docking with our big boat on the flight to sell jade statuettes.
www.OneTapMagic.com
Discover Your Power )*(
www.NikaOne.com
The Art of Transformation [TAO-T]--->
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Let the beauty you love be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth."
~Jalāl ad-Dīn Rumi - a Persian poet and whirling dervish
A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it.
~R. Tagore
~R. Tagore
"...Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
~ J.W. von Goethe
~ J.W. von Goethe
"Do not say, 'It is morning,' and dismiss it with a name of yesterday. See it for the first time as a newborn child that has no name."
~R. Tagore
~R. Tagore
"For as this appalling ocean surrounds the verdant land, so in the soul of man there lies one insular Tahiti, full of peace and joy, but encompassed by all the horrors of the half known life. "
~ H. Melville



Hello Wide-Eyed Wanderer Adventurer ~
ReplyDeleteGreat photos; keep 'em coming please.
So the word ‘Village’ has nothing to do with size of the population then?
What movie was it for God sake...?
RE: "Funny things happen when I just keep saying "yes." Mind if I steel this gem...
RE "Surrounded by surreal limestone peaks that glow in the dark like some overwhelmingly large phallic symbols.” Great metaphor for me...
Well, I'm definitely steeling this too: "Do not say, 'It is morning,' and dismiss it with a name of yesterday. See it for the first time as a newborn child that has no name." ~R. Tagore
All is well with me & life is good. It’s been Indian Summer-type of weather this week here in the Bay Area, although cold before the sun rises and sets. We’re in for a spot of rain this weekend.
GlobalHeart, please keep warm & dry
I love your blog as well as you very much
Forever curious, life explorer
I love your comments - pray, keep'em coming, Dear Life Explorer!
ReplyDeleteFeel free to "borrow" the phrases you like - they just pass through me anyways - we all just borrow them for a moment ;o)