Yoga School survival - Shadow Bootcamp



Gopalapur, Himachal Pradesh, India.
May 14 - June 13, 2011

Atman vs. Brahman - Dalai Lama temple, McLeod Ganj


Yoga Training Experience

WOW – did I underestimate what I was signing up for! Imagine this setup: 32 people living in the semi-isolated “island” [no big town nearby], shared living, and 10 hrs a day of yoga classes – theory and practice. Now, what I didn't understand [thinking, well, I did yoga for 14 years up to that point....so what could be so hard – aaaah, such a naïve Western approach!] was that 5-6 hrs of yoga action, mudras, bandhas and kriyas [cleanses] acts as a detox “on steroids”....and that lasts for a month.

So, we have a cloistered “pressure-cooker” with 32 folks detoxing intensely – and many who have never detoxed before. Talk about Shadow density! At some point, I thought I could slice it with a knife. I was not prepared for that – after doing a mind/heart – cleansing on the heavenly Annapurna trek....plus, my joins – knees and ankles – were asking for rest after the brutal up-and-down of the trek. No such luck.

This brilliant painting is from Suan Mokkh Monastery's Spiritual Theatre


Nearly everyone in the school got sick at least once – some folks never really came out of it. And most of the people in the training were in some form of health practice and in general – pretty body conscious. There were several athletes amongst us as well – and they took it as hard as the rest of us. I just don't think the human body is rigged for that kind of yogic intensity. To compound the situation, we were the first group to be trained at this new location [the school does 6 months in Kerala – the south of India – and 6 months in the North – but this time, they changed the northern location], so things were far from smooth – in food, cleanliness and the general flow [sometimes – literally – water/showers were constantly experienceing some issues]. The school administration really did the best they could to put out the “fires” that just kept coming up.

I also recognize that a part of what made the experience more intense and harder than it could be was the fact that I've been traveling around Indo-Asia for nearly a year....and in my experience, and acceptance and peace-keeping is a built-in feature of the culture around this neck of the woods. Complaining is not common around truly devout Buddhists. Now, very few folks in our training were from Asia and none – from India. And complaining [sometimes quite audible] abounded. I realized just how much that tensed the atmosphere, and how un-used I have become to that sort of “self-expression.” It also dawned on me that it's not something I wanted in my life as a culture anymore [not that I ever did, but it never occurred to me with such stark clarity – how that MO does not work]. I've reflected upon just how much the journey has transformed me....

I'm sure, the folks training after us will have a much smoother time. Though, in all respects, I feel that I've learned SO much......it was easily the most intense physical ordeal I have ever undergone voluntarily.

It did help to be surrounded by the white peaks of Himachal Pradesh and idyllic pastures all around the hotel at which the school was held. 








When things got to be too much, I'd just sit on the kitchen roof and watch the villagers work with their cows amidst the rice terraces. And then there were sunsets and sunrises colouring the white peaks in a different way each day. Mesmerizingly beautiful. In those moments, I felt blessed to be there.


Another blessing was that the practical portions of the course [the asanas, mudras, bandhas and kriyas] were taught by a genuine yogi, Bhoomaj – a personification of peace and yogic spirit/wisdom. That was saving grace.


Swami Bhooma

Bhooma in beautiful yogic [in]action: 
http://www.hathayoga-meditation.com/yoga-asanas-poses-postures-gallery.php
Our group was another beautiful aspect – peaceful, conscious beings for the most part. Ones with a lot of varied eclectic knowledge – such as playing the didj or resonant-chang....and everyone happily shared these skills with the willing ones. So I got my first didj-playing experience there. It's a major pranayma exercise, ladies and gentlemen!

And I was incredibly lucky with a roommate – a delightful Frenchie with abundant knowledge of Chinese medicine and a kind disposition towards all living things – and our life-rhythms matched beautifully. It was a while since I've shared a living space with another [non-mate] being so closely....and it went surprisingly well.

The one on her 4's is my sweet roomie


On the day of graduation, our peaceful yogi has cooked our dinner himself – it was the most delicious one of the whole month! Everyone got dressed up in their saris or semi-Indian attire....and in a Sanskrit mantra-chanting, candle-lit ceremonies, we got our diplomas.




 It was an enchanted moment – to see everyone in their most beautiful presence – physically and otherwise. I felt profound gratitude for this training and for the people I had the opportunity to train with – they were as much my teachers as the Swamis.



I was also genuinely surprised that I have survived the whole experience and came out, probably, stronger – and, definitely, with more knowledge [though, that was the predictable element]. It felt like a life-time more than a month. It did take a 1-2x daily Reiki session, plus every mind/energy tool I had in my pocket to maintain a semblance of balance during this time, and I can only imagine [with a shudder], what it would be like for someone without those tools....who has never done shadow-work.

It did dawn on me just how few westerners expect anywhere near the depth of transformation that such an experience inherently holds. And if they knew....would they still come? I do wish, I had an inkling of what I was in for. I would probably still do it. After all, I do feel ready to teach Hatha yoga anywhere. Bhoomaj – thank you!


After the rain..... monsoon, really!
The kids' playground at the hotel - we spent so many days in deep conversation or just decompressing on those  swings and wheels!
Pic of a pic we were gifted with our diplomas
It's official

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Jjimjilbanging Seoul

True Colours of Utah