Jun 15 -> Jun 28
Palampur, Himachal Pradesh, India
Panchakarma – Vivekananda Clinic
 |
| Vivekananda Clinic, Kayakalp Campus |
It turns out that even a breakdown in the flow of the yoga school [something happened in the cook's family, and he could not fulfill on his contract – he left mid-stream] turned out to be a serendipitous blessing. That is how I met the state president of Himachal Pradesh, who happened to be a friend of the hotel owner, and he brought a cooking team to help his friend in need.
For whatever reason, this kind man took me under his wing while I was there, and when I mentioned that I was to do a pancha karma treatment in Dharamshala, he has emphatically suggested a remarkable clinic where most of the high government officials went to undergo this treatment. Apparently, it was just nextdoor - in Palampur [only 20 km from the Yoga School!]. He literally took me by the hand and signed me up for the treatment at this best-kept secret body heaven [tourist-wise] – the Himalayan Research Institute [or Vivekananda Trust clinic]. Turns out, this place is considered to be one of the 3 best clinics in the country.
 |
| Deepak near his home - the fields around him, according to his words, have witnessed the central battle of Bhagavat Ghita. |
 |
| Deepak - my friend who brought me to Kayakalp |
 |
| Deepak with his daughter and granddaughter |
So, right after completing the Yoga Teacher Training, I went to do a treatment at this beautifully cleaned and kindly-staffed facility and stayed there for two weeks. I had a lovely space to live in, with furry pines peaking into my window and a glimpse of the white mountains through them. It was a space perfect for healing....and I appreciated the much-needed privacy at that point – after a month of sharing my space at the Yoga School.
I've never seen such friendly and open-hearted doctors and such dedicated staff at a medical facility!
 |
| Dr. Riba - physiotherapy |
 |
| Dr. Manjool - head of the Physiotherapy Dept - working on a patient |
 |
| The Queen of Wax ["Mom" in Hindi] - she did all the warming joint treatments and let me play with wax. |
 |
| Indian women's beauty and Vedic grace never ceases to amaze me - regardless of the environment - sitting on a bus stop pavement , at work or at home - they are so [!] feminine.... |
 |
| These lovely women made such a difference during my treatment! And they managed to teach me quite a bit of Hindi [especally - the words that have to do with the body] while at it! |
And the patients wore beautiful garbs and engageged in intelligent, quiet conversations. I loved the dignified aura of the campus....beautiful Indians strolling gently arm in arm, Tibetan lamas and monks sitting on the benches in the shade meditating.....the beautiful area called “the oxygen zone,” populated with plants that were particularly prolific in the photosynthesis department....that had many meditation platforms amidst the woods. I met many sunsets on those platforms, witnessing the white peaks dress in peach hues and inhaling the super-oxygenated air. A part of me constantly reality tested – is this a dream? Did I die and go to heaven
;o)?
 |
| The white peaks are behind the clouds |
 |
| I stayed at the green-roofed house called "Niket" |
At the same time, I did not realize how intense pancha karma treatments can be on the body! In the 3 months in the Himalayas, I was in yet another profound physical experience....and feeling it every day. In retrospect, I am so happy to have done it, and the magical clinic was the best place can think of to do this ancient ayurvedic cleanse, but I would probably take a break between the Yoga School and after the treatment and just live on the beautiful campus and enjoy their fabulous massages for a bit.....and JUST CHILL.
 |
| A stone echo from the times of Arjuna - the stone is thought to have been a witness to the Great Battle in Bhagavat Gita and has an inscription on it testifying to that effect. |
 |
| A path through the Mahabharata fields - near Deepak's home |
 |
| It would seem, little has changed here in the past 3000 years. |
Comments
Post a Comment