Xishuangbanna daze - Mekong welcome
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Xishuangbanna thoughts
12-10-2010 [written on 12-13-2010]
Jinghong has surprised me - at first it looked like a regular over-crowded Chinese city and I thought I would just spend a night there....until, following a suggestion of my newly-found no-nonsense kurdish friend, I got to the Mekong River and wandered along a lazy multi-mile malecon at night. A steamy summer evening filled with cozy yellow boardwalk lights and the neon glow of the bridges reflecting in the river have embraced me and lulled me into staying for a few days.
I'd start a morning journalling at the friendly Banna Cafe, an open-air "living room," as most of the local ex-pats [both Chinese and Western] call it. It is located at the confluence of 3 semi-busy streets, which makes for an entertaining people-watching spot, and, it turns out, the owners are a gold-mine of the useful local info.
Also, I've discovered that Xishuangbanna is one of the best-kept secrets [according to the American & Canadian ex-pats who now call it home] in China, or, quite possibly, the world. There are very few western tourists that come here, which makes it a rather authentic place to be. And, I've found that there is not a single half-decent guesthouse on the Mekong boardwalk! Of course, I then met a Dutch lawyer who was planning to open one up. Looks like a neat little business niche.
So went a few lazy days, and, honestly, that warm break was welcome after the nippy climate I came from. Then, waking myself up from the Xishuangbanna daze, I finally headed off for the Lao Land.
--
www.OneTapMagic.com
Discover Your Power )*(
www.NikaOne.com
The Art of Transformation [TAO-T]--->
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Let the beauty you love be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth."
~Jalāl ad-Dīn Rumi - a Persian poet and whirling dervish
A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it.
~R. Tagore
~R. Tagore
"...Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
~ J.W. von Goethe
~ J.W. von Goethe
"Do not say, 'It is morning,' and dismiss it with a name of yesterday. See it for the first time as a newborn child that has no name."
~R. Tagore
~R. Tagore
"For as this appalling ocean surrounds the verdant land, so in the soul of man there lies one insular Tahiti, full of peace and joy, but encompassed by all the horrors of the half known life. "
~ H. Melville
Comments
Post a Comment