Landing in Laos - Trekkers Mecca of Luang Namtha

12-11-2010 - Laos, Luang Namtha

A gentle transition into the Laos life after a 6 hour bus ride from Jinghong yesterday. Luang Namtha is a small but growing town near the lush Nam Tha river. Many little villages are scattered throughout the surrounding hills, and today I walked to one of them together with a thoughtful and easy-going New-Yorker Jeana. Apparently, this little town is sort of a mecca for the local eco-tourism - trekking, kayaking, biking....yet, for the next few days it's a bit overcast, so I don't know if I'll be doing much of it.

What a curious experience! Some kind of a local festival was happening, and many kids and some adults were dressed in the traditional costume. A self-made merry-go-round spun kids to the rhythmic tunes while I wondered between the many newly-built houses of the village. It seems like this is the baby season here, since nearly every animal that crossed my path [from turkeys to chickens and pigs] had an adorable litter following it. I've never seen little naked turkeys and was overwhelmed by their dinosaur-like hillarity. Another neat part was that we were the only two tourists [or, at least, looking like ones] in that village! 

I have concluded that, for this moment, I'm resonating with Laos even more than with China, for its relaxed, tropical lush an the untapped authenticity that lays right next to the main tourist track. The people are kind, gentle, respectful and quiet....And there are many creature comforts present here that I've learned to not count on in China, like softer mattresses, hand-washing facilities in the restrooms and, well, tp, as well as soap and shower curtains, and [here comes the drum-beat!] - the throne of the western toilet....although, now the flush button went ubiquitously missing....replaced by a bucket of water with a pan...LOL. 

I'm staying at a cozy guesthouse that resembles a Swiss mountain lodge with its woodwork and large outside patios. 
Somehow, I feel at peace here. Closer to nature, at a mellow pace... it feels right. 


--

www.OneTapMagic.com
Discover Your Power )*(
www.NikaOne.com
The Art of Transformation [TAO-T]--->


~~~~~~~~~~~
"Let the beauty you love be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth."
~Jalāl ad-Dīn Rumi - a Persian poet and whirling dervish

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it.
~R. Tagore 

    
"...Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
~ J.W. von Goethe

"Do not say, 'It is morning,' and dismiss it with a name of yesterday. See it for the first time as a newborn child that has no name."
~R. Tagore 
 

"For as this appalling ocean surrounds the verdant land, so in the soul of man there lies one insular Tahiti, full of peace and joy, but encompassed by all the horrors of the half known life. "
~ H. Melville

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Jjimjilbanging Seoul

True Colours of Utah