11.28.2012 U.S.A.
Back
to the Tribe – California Reflections
 |
| Land's End, San Francisco, CA |
What a whirlwind
of a month! After resting my wings and recouping some resources
following the return from the Nepal, it was time to see my people in
California – the only place that's ever felt like home in the U.S.
It is truly
amazing how much has happened in the lives of my people since I left
for the Journey in 2010. Three of my friends got married, three –
had children...five – lost a parent, many sold homes and bought new
ones...I couldn't help but wonder if this was somehow happening all
along, or just these couple years were particularly eventful?
At first, I felt
ghost-like, arriving to San Francisco. These were the streets I
wandered what seemed like eons ago. Would I still feel love for the
sparkling streets and bridges of the Bay Area? Would there still be
charm in the sequoia groves? Would the people of my life B.J.,
before journey, still make space for me amidst the hustle and bustle
of their life that has moved on so far past the point where we said
goodbye? I'd lie if I said there wasn't a hint of trepidation.
It turns out,
there is nothing like a long journey to distinguish which people are
truly ours. They want to see you and be with you from the time that
you land – the sooner – the better. And then there are the folks
that aren't really ours, but we connect with them along the way to
exchange some form of information. However, when that is done, they
never make that space for us again. And they fall away naturally. The
distinction between the two kinds is stark. And so it goes...
I was moved by how
embraced my people made me feel. Genuinely cared for. “But
somewhere in my youth...or childhood, I must have done something
good,” - was the thought that kept occurring. You know the lose
ends that we sometimes have – things unsaid, places not visited,
big projects that seem too daunting to complete...but when you
finally say, visit and complete them, you sigh with relief? All
those things were brought to completion in this month, and it made
breathing a bit more joyful. Nay, I actually felt proud of myself. I
even managed to sell off my furniture from storage – because,
really, it wouldn't fit into the plane.
And then there was
a day of stillness - there was nothing left for me to do. I stood in
the ringing clarity that I have completed the circle with California.
This return felt inevitable. I have relieved the sweet nostalgia
vividly...and the experiences no longer had traction with me. No
entering the same river twice indeed...Time for another twist of the
spiral.
 |
| Descent to the Baker's beach, San Francisco, CA |
 |
| Climbing a tree at Land's End, San Francisco, CA |
 |
| Baker's Beach Sunset, San Francisco |
 |
| It proudly stands near the Golden Gate Bridge |
 |
| Catching the wave |
 |
| Last rays, San Francisco |
 |
| Inside a redwood tree, Jackson State Forest, Mendocino, CA |
 |
| Inside a redwood tree, Mendocino, CA |
 |
| Shrooms....the edible kind. Mendocino, CA |
 |
| A burned redwood |
 |
| Mendocino redwoods are very climbable |
 |
| Things are looking up! A maypole inside a redwood fairy ring...they are so tall! |
Comments
Post a Comment