Habituation
1-21-2011 - [on the bus] Saigon ->Mekong Delta
Maybe it was the preamble to the major Vietnamese Megapolis vibe that I got from Hanoi that was the cause of me not being phased by the "chaos personified" of Saigon. There was a couple hours somewhere in there where I felt the audio-visual overload of the 5 million scooters pouring in rivers down the streets and amidst the scooter-infested sidewalks [here they are used for riding as well as parking! Pedestrians - better learn rock-climbing to utilize the adjacent wall-space], singer voices blaring from the loud-speakers and the street life happening in its loudly natural way. I took a 30 min breather in some quiet tea shop and regrouped myself.
As I was walking to my hotel at night after a day of exploring the City, I remarked to myself just how quickly our brains habituate....I weaved through the traffic and the barricaded sidewalks, letting the scooters through before they let out a beep....the noises [some quite loud] turned into the auditory "wallpaper," and I was again a quiet observer drifting through the "chaos with a method" that is Saigon. It was strange - the crazier things got around me, the more centered and aware I got. Like an eye of a tornado.
I can see how the people who live there can tolerate it, though, upon arrival, it was difficult to comprehend. Bless habituation!
www.OneTapMagic.com
Discover Your Power )*(
www.NikaOne.com
The Art of Transformation [TAO-T]--->
~~~~~~~~~~~
"Let the beauty you love be what you do. There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth."
~Jalāl ad-Dīn Rumi - a Persian poet and whirling dervish
Comments
Post a Comment